NZ Booklovers Awards 2021 Shortlist Announced
By Authors.org.nz | Posted: Friday February 19, 2021
The NZ Booklovers Awards 2021 shortlist, announced today, features a mixture of well-known authors and new writers.
Books by Nicky Pellegrino, Eileen Merriman, Tina Shaw, Fiona Sussman, Dr Hinemoa Elder, Julie and Ilaria Biuso, and Owen Marshall, Grahame Sydney, and Brian Turner are among the diverse range of titles nominated for the NZ Booklovers Awards, along with exciting new talent.
Six books are shortlisted in the lifestyle books and children’s books categories, with eight books shortlisted this year in the fiction category.
NZ Booklovers Director Karen McMillan says the awards, now in their third year, received 71 entries, and the quality was extremely high.
‘The judges were excited to see the variety of books that our talented New Zealand authors have produced,’ she says. ‘Our fiction award celebrates the best in storytelling, a book that is well-written but where the story is key. The entries were so strong this year we have extended the shortlist to eight instead of our usual six. Our lifestyle award celebrates the non-fiction books that have the ability to enrich our daily lives. For our children’s book award, we looked for picture books that engage young readers and foster a love of books. It was both a pleasure and a challenge to consider all the entries this year, but we are delighted with the calibre of the books. These are superb books that Kiwi families will read and treasure.’
The NZ Booklovers Awards 2021 shortlisted titles are:
NZ Booklovers Award for Best Adult Fiction Book 2021
- Addressed to Greta by Fiona Sussman (Bateman)
- Ephemera by Tina Shaw (Cloud Ink Press)
- For Reasons of Their Own by Chris Stuart (Original Sin Press)
- I Wish, I Wish by Zirk van den Berg (The Cuba Press)
- The Silence of Snow by Eileen Merriman (Penguin Random House)
- Tiny Pieces of Us by Nicky Pellegrino (Hachette)
- Victory Park by Rachel Kerr (Mākaro Press)
- While the Fantail Lives by Alan Titchall (Devon Media)
NZ Booklovers Award for Best Lifestyle Book 2021
- Aroha by Dr Hinemoa Elder (Penguin Random House)
- Landmarks by Owen Marshall, Grahame Sydney and Brian Turner (Penguin Random House)
- Shared Kitchen by Julie and Ilaria Biuso (Bateman)
- Surf Dreams by Derek Morrison (Penguin Random House)
- Two Raw Sisters by Rosa and Margo Flanagan (Bateman)
- Wild Kinship by Monique Hemmingson (Beatnik Publishing)
NZ Booklovers Award for Best Children’s Book 2021
- Hare & Ruru by Laura Shallcrass (Beatnik Publishing)
- The Hug Blanket by Chris Gurney, illustrated by Lael Chisholm (Scholastic)
- I am the Universe by Vasanti Unka (Penguin Random House)
- The Midnight Adventures of Ruru and Kiwi by Clare Scott, illustrated by Amy Haarhoff (Penguin Random House)
- Sharing with Wolf by Melinda Szymanik, illustrated by Nikki Slade Robinson (Scholastic)
- Tatty Catty by Susannah Whaley, illustrated by Hayley Elliott-Kernot (Marigold Books)
The winner in each category will be announced on 18 March 2021.