Creative Engagement/Design Development: Mosgiel Safer Streets
By Dunedin City Council | Posted: Monday February 22, 2021
As part of the Mosgiel Safer Schools project, DCC wishes to work with the community to create painted asphalt art on trial kerb-build outs at three intersections in Mosgiel. The purpose in the first instance is to increase awareness of the adjacent schools and pedestrian activity, and to encourage slower vehicle speeds.
Role & Budget
We are looking for an artist/designer who can work with members of the community to develop visual designs suitable for application at three Mosgiel sites. The successful applicant will:
- facilitate a community art activity as part of a DCC-organised community workshop, where members of the public can explore and express their own ideas for road designs.
- based on community feedback (visual and oral), the artist will produce two or three different design proposals for the intersections for the project team to choose from.
- If required, liaise with contractors regarding the application of the final design(s).
The budget for this work is $3,500 (ex GST), which is to include the workshop facilitation and the development of final design concepts. Consenting costs will be covered by DCC. Travel costs to Mosgiel are the responsibility
of the artist.
It is expected that this work will take place in late March/early April (exact date to be confirmed) and that final
designs will be produced by 15 April 2021.
Applications are welcome from individuals or collaborative groups; all applications must be submitted through the online form, accompanying documentation may be uploaded as pdfs. Hard copies will not be accepted and will not be returned. Applications must be received no later than 5 March 2021.
Applicants must submit:
- CVs for each artist/designer involved (including details of relevant art activities/projects).
- Images of relevant works/projects, noting dates and locations.
- Information about any existing or potential conflicts of interest.
Applicants should carefully read through the information contained in the following:
- Appendix A – Artist Brief
- Appendix B – Examples
- Appendix C – Process and Evaluation
- Appendix D – Technical Specifications